LIFX Z Setup:
For setup, make sure you plug in all the strip length you need before plugging the strips into mains power.
On initial power up, the strip will do a "Zone Count." A zone count allows the strip controller to be aware of how many zones are available to control. Each 1m length of strip has 8 controllable zones. Each controller can have up to 10m of LIFX Z strip connected, totaling 80 zones that you can control. If you add additional strips, you will need to do the steps for adding strip length.
Plug the strip in, and you can follow the setup in the LIFX app, as you would for any other LIFX products. Best options for setting up are:
- Go to Wi-Fi settings on your Android or iOS device, and choose the LIFX network for your LIFX Z
- Tap the + button in the upper right corner of the LIFX app, and choose "Add Light".
- From there, follow the instructions in app, to get your strip connected to your home network.
Adding strip length:
- Unplug the strip power adapter from mains power.
- While unplugged, add your strip extensions.
- After adding strips, plug the power adapter back into mains power.
- Press the button on the LIFX Z controller, for 1 second. The strip will flash, and 'chase' from the connector, down to the end of the strips.
- All the strips will light up, and you can control the whole strip.
Resetting LIFX Z:
Resetting LIFX Z strips are a little different from the other LIFX models.
Find the reset button on the strip controller. It it on the side of the controller box. Hold it down for 10-15 seconds, and then release. The strip should then flash red, green, blue, and settle on white, like Color LIFX bulbs do, when reset.
The strip is now restored to original settings, and should broadcast it's LIFX SSID to be setup to a new network.