Rescue Mode may occur in LIFX Color 1000 or LIFX White 800 bulbs when a bulb fails to successfully update via the in app firmware updater, or the desktop updater.
The symptoms to identify this issue are:
- Not able to access the bulb in app after update and may be flashing after the update is done in the app. Please note, all bulbs will flash during the update, so this would be after the updater has been run.
- When you power cycle, or attempt to hardware reset a bulb, it flashes bright white/dim white, instead of the normal reset sequence for the bulb.
If you reset your bulb, and see the above flash described above, the bulb may be in Rescue Mode.
In this case, to make sure the Rescue Mode network will be revealed:
- power off your router
- power cycle the bulb.
It will flash dim/bright for a few seconds, and then stop. Wait a minute or so, and the bulb should start flashing again.
At this point, you should be able to see the Rescue Mode network in your list of Wi-Fi networks in settings on your computer, or mobile device.
To restore the bulb, do the following:
- First, download the latest firmware updater for your Mac, Windows or Linux computer, not your phone or tablet, in this situation
- Next, connect your computer to the LIFX Rescue_mode Wi-Fi network.
- If you do not see a Rescue Mode network in your network list on the computer, please power down your router, and reset the bulb again, waiting about a minute after reset to see if the network is now available.
- Run the updater with the computer connected to the LIFX bulb's rescue mode SSID.
- If you powered off your router, once the update is complete, you can power up your router again, and setup the bulb on your network.
This should reinstall and update the firmware for your LIFX bulb. If you encounter any additional issues with this process, email support for more assistance.