Adding the LIFX Skill to your Alexa App
To add a skill, keep in mind you'll need to have a LIFX account to link your Amazon account to, so the first thing is to grab our LIFX app from the App Store (it's free and quick to set up an account with just an email address). You can now link these two accounts together by searching for the skill "LIFX: Optimized for Smart Home" I the 'skills' section of your Alexa app, or by asking Alexa to add a skill and saying the name.
Want help setting your light up through the LIFX app instead? If you've realised you're missing something from the Simple Set-up steps, that's ok. We're here to help you with that too.
Read this article on Set-up Success for first time users of LIFX.
LIFX Optimized for Smart Home Skill
For first time LIFX users you will need to make sure you have a LIFX account. This is what you will link your Amazon account to when you add the skill, so the first thing is to grab our LIFX app from the App Store (it's free and quick to set up an account with just an email address). You can now follow the steps below.
For existing LIFX users with one or more products connected to your LIFX account, you will want to check that your lights are connected to your LIFX cloud account. This will allow your Amazon Echo / Alexa to find the lights you have already set up.
You can quickly check any lights are cloud connected through the app by:
- Click on the name for a light ()
- Tap the 'more options' menu represented by three dots () in the top right of the Light Control screen (this is the screen with the colour or white wheel.)
- Go to 'Light Settings' in the bottom right
- Under 'Software' you will see the Cloud status. It should say 'connected'
It will look like this:
Alexa Skill Set up steps:
- Open your Alexa app on your device
- Tap the menu in the bottom right ("More")
- Go to 'Skills and Games"
- Search for LIFX, and then choose LIFX Optimized for Smart Home skill and enable
- Sign in to your LIFX account when prompted using your username and password
- Click "Authorize"
- You should now be able to discover your devices. The Alexa app will prompt you to help with this.